Today's recipe is a wonderful example of a vegetarian dish that is high in protein, filling, and nutritional. (Also really tasty!)
Zucchini and Chickpea Pita Sandwiches
4 pita rounds
1 can chick peas
1 small zucchini
1/2 of a red onion
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
Salt and pepper
Garnish such as lettuce, cabbage, Greek yogurt, or hot chili sauce
1. Shred zucchini and and red onion into a mixing bowl. Drain chick peas and add to bowl. Mash together.
2. Add bread crumbs, egg, oregano, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir vigorously to combine.
3. Form mixture into 16 small patties.
4. In large pan, add olive oil and heat at medium-high.
5. Add as many patties as fit in the pan (you'll need to do several batches). Cook in olive oil about 5 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook 5 minutes more.
6. Cut pita in half and toast. In each pita half, add two patties and garish with lettuce, cabbage, Greek yogurt, or hot chili sauce.