Friday, February 11, 2011

Chili Rellenos con Salsa Verde

 This recipe is time consuming, but well worth it. Over the Christmas holiday I impressed my family with this dinner. Some of them weren't sure they would like a baked chili pepper, but it was such a hit I wished I'd doubled the recipe. For just my husband and me, one pepper and rice is enough for dinner. When I served this over the holidays, we also had grilled chicken and a green salad. 


Chili Rellenos 
Serves 4
4 large poblano peppers**
8 ounces queso fresco, shredded
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon red pepper

1. Broil the whole peppers for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, until blackened and charred.
2. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle.
3. Meanwhile, combine shredded cheese and spices.
4. Peal off charred skin of peppers. This is the time consuming part! (I tried making these without this step and the end result was hard, undercooked peppers.)
5. Cut open center of pepper (see picture). Stuff with cheese mixture.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is completely melted.

Salsa Verde
Serves 4
4 tomatillos, husks removed
1/4 a white onion
1 jalapeno pepper,** seeds removed for medium heat, seeds included for hot heat
1 green tomato (if its in season)
1 whole garlic clove
1 lime

1. Roast tomatillo, onion, jalapeno, green tomato, and garlic at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Use a pan with sides--the tomatillos will turn to mush.
2. In food processor, combine roasted vegetables and juice of one lime. Process until mixture turns into a liquid.
3. Serve on top of roasted poblano peppers and rice.

**Be careful when handling peppers! Every person reacts differently, but if I get hot pepper juice on my hands, they will burn all night.

1 comment:

  1. This was the most amazing poblano dish I have every consumed in my life, including very good Mexican restaurants in Chicago. I only ate one and desperately wanted more, but one was enough. Eat these as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printer Friendly