Watercress and Potato Chowder
1 potato, pealed and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 bunch of watercress, reserve a few leaves for garnish
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons light cream cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/3 tablespoon butter
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and saute 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, separate leaves from stems of watercress. Dice stems.
4. Add chicken broth, milk, watercress stems, cream cheese, and spices. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
5. When potatoes are cooked through, add watercress leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Carefully pour soup into a blender. Blend until smooth.
7. Return to pot and keep warm until ready to serve.
8. Serve garnished with reserved watercress leaves.