Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Three Cheese Grilled Vegetable Pizza

I'm a huge pizza fan and I'm always trying to come up with new pizza ideas. I used my grill pan to cook these vegetables before topping the pizza. Although not my personal favorite, eggplant or mushrooms would also work on here.



Basic Pizza Dough

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup corn meal

1. Mix yeast, water, and sugar together. Let stand about 10 minutes, until mixture has bubbles.
2. In a food processor fitted with a dough hook, mix yeast mixture with all other ingredients until just combined.
3. Put dough in a bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until dough doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Sprinkle corn meal on surface. Roll out dough until desired shape.

Three Cheese Grilled Vegetable Pizza
Serves 4 to 6

Basic pizza dough
1 can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 green pepper
1/4 of a red onion, diced
2 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 ounces Parmesean cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat olive oil on grill pan over medium to high heat.
2. Meanwhile, slice zucchini and yellow squash in long pieces (see picture). Cut green pepper in large pieces.
3. Grill vegetables on grill pan about 5 minutes on each side.


4. Meanwhile, heat tomatoes in pan over medium heat. Add oregano, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook about 20 minutes, crushing tomatoes every so often with a spoon.
5. Remove vegetables from grill pan and dice.
6. Top pizza dough with tomato sauce, three cheeses, and vegetables.
7. Cook at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! Cornmeal, then roll out? I've never added cornmeal to pizza dough, but I keep hearing it's the way, so I'll have to try it. Does it just add crunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,
    It makes the dough much easier to roll. I've tried flour to roll it out, but I think that makes the dough harder to work with. Not sure if this recommends this technique or not, but Domino's uses corn meal to roll out their crust.

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try brown sugar instead of white, see if you like it. Its a subtle change, but it works well with toppings like pepper and sharper cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea Nikhil! Brown sugar in the pizza dough or the pizza sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use it in the dough. Someone told me to use honey in pizza sauce, which I like; I've never put sugar in the sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printer Friendly