I haven't found Southern food to be particularly vegetarian friendly. Fried green tomatoes are one of the few vegetarian Southern dishes I've tried. Pair this with a salad, fried chicken, or catfish.
Fried Green Tomatoes
2 large green tomatoes
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut tomato into large slices.
2. Whisk egg and milk together in one bowl. Mix corn meal, cumin, red pepper, salt, and pepper in a another.
3. Dip tomatoes first in egg and then in corn meal.
4. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat.
5. Add tomatoes in a single layer. Cook five to ten minutes or until browned. Carefully turn over and cook five minutes more.
6. Serve topped with peach salsa.
2 peaches, pealed and diced
1 tomato, diced
1 red jalapeno, finely diced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add jalapeno and cook about 3 minutes.
2. Add all other ingredients and cook for about 30 minutes.