I know this is called butter chicken, but my version only calls for a tablespoon of butter. A dash of half and half and a cup of non fat yogurt give this dish it's creaminess. In true Cooking Flexitairan fashion, this dish can be prepared with the chicken in only half the sauce or without chicken at all. I served this murgh makhani with aloo mutter and basmati rice.
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 of an onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup frozen peas
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons half and half
1 cup non fat plain yogurt
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and saute 1 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic.
3. Add chili powder, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper and saute one minute more.
4. Add lemon juice and butter and saute one minute.
5. Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
6. Reduce heat to low. Add half and half and yogurt. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes.
8. Add several tablespoons of sauce to chicken and cook through, about 5 minutes more.
9. Meanwhile, add peas to sauce and cook about 10 minutes.
10. Add chicken to peas and sauce and cook 5 minutes more.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.