I made this chili for a Chili Cook Off my friends hosted. Of course, a beef chili won, but I thought this vegetarian chili turned out very well. This recipe gets its strong smoky flavor from smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder.
Smoky Vegetarian Chili
2 cans black beans
1 can red kidney beans
2 large carrots, pealed and diced
1/4 of a white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup corn
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
4 tomatillos, husks removed and diced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup vegetable broth (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots and saute 5 minutes more.
4. Add garlic and saute for one minute.
5. Add beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomatillos, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, cumin, and red pepper. Stir to combine.
6. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally. If chili gets too thick while cooking, add a cup of vegetable broth or water.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.