This summer, my husband and I are trying to grow as much as we can on our kitchen windowsill and tiny back pouch. The herbs, especially the basil and mint, are thriving. We've managed to grow a few strawberries. Our arugula plant has produced enough leaves for some very small salads. This salad features tomatoes and avocado prominently and uses arugula more as a garnish. Even though there wasn't a lot of leaves, it was a great feeling to eat arugula we'd grown from seed!
Tomato, Avocado, and Arugula Salad with Queso Fresco
1 large tomato
Handful of arugula
1 ounces queso fresco
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Fresh chives, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Slice tomato and avocado.
2. Layer tomato and avocado on a platter.
3. Top with arugula and crumbled queso fresco.
4. Mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad.
5. Garnish with chives and more cracked black pepper.