Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
1 cup dried green peas
1 can chicken or vegetable broth
3 medium carrots, pealed and diced
1/2 of a white onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1-2 cups hot water, as needed
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and carrots, saute about 10 minutes.
3. Add broth. Bring to a boil.
4. Add green peas, red pepper, cumin, and bay leaf. Reduce heat and cover.
5. Cook over low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add hot water to soup as needed.
6. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with crusty bread.