Cooking Asian food has never been a strength of mine. Whether I'm trying Indian, Thai, or Chinese, what I make never tastes quite the same as a restaurant. Even though I typically avoid too many shortcuts when cooking, I've found that a high quality bottled sauce works so much better for Asian food than anything I could create on my own. In these recipes, I used House of Tsang stir fry sauce. The result was the best Chinese dinner I've ever made!
Chicken Egg Rolls
Makes 6 egg rolls
1 cup of bagged stir fry vegetables (combination of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, snow peas, etc.)
1 cup cooked chicken breast
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1 tablespoon and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons House of Tsang stir fry sauce (or your favorite sauce)
6 large wanton wrappers
1. Finely dice vegetables.
2. Finely dice chicken and keep separate from vegetables.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in stir fry sauce.
5. Remove chicken and vegetable mixture from heat.
6. Place 1/6 of mixture on one end of wanton wrapper. Fold sides and roll into a cigar shape. Wet finger with water and rub to seal edge. Repeat with remaining wanton wrappers.
7. Heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat in pan. Add wantons seam side down. Cook until browned and then turn, about 3 minutes per side.
8. Remove from heat, drain on paper towel. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and cucumber salad.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Whisk all ingredients together in small sauce pan.
2. Cook at medium heat 5 minutes.
Vegetable Fried Rice
2 cups cooked rice
1 carrot, pealed and diced
1/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup broccoli, fresh or frozen, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, divided
1/4 cup House of Tsang stir fry sauce (or your favorite sauce)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in large pan or wok. Add egg and stir until cooked. Remove from heat and put egg to the side.
2. Wipe out pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil and bring back to medium heat. Add carrots and cook 5 minutes. Add other vegetables and cook until just cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Add rice and remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add stir fry sauce and stir to combine. Stir in egg and serve.