One of my favorite dishes to make is Chili Rellenos. I decided to mix it up and prepare a similar dish stuffed with summer squash and red onions. Compared to my recipe for Chili Rellenos, these peppers contain half as much cheese.
Summer Squash Stuffed Poblanos
2 large poblano peppers
2 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup diced zucchini
1/4 cup diced yellow squash
2 tablespoons diced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce, for serving
Rice, for serving
1. Broil the whole peppers for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, until blackened and charred.
2. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle.
3. Meanwhile, combine shredded cheese, vegetables, and spices.
4. Peal off charred skin of peppers.
5. Cut open center of pepper. Stuff with cheese mixture.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is completely melted.
7. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
8. Serve poblano on a bed of rice, topped with hot sauce to taste.