Celebrate fall with this interesting combination of apples and squash. This soup isn't as thick and hearty as many butternut squash soup recipes. I think it works best as an appetizer.
Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
1 small butternut squash, diced
2 apples, diced
1 small white onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon butter
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of red pepper
Generous freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt butter over low heat. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes.
2. Add squash and apples and saute one minute.
3. Add broth and spices.
4. Cover and simmer over low heat about 45 minutes, or until squash is very tender.
5. Puree in blender until smooth.
6. Return to heat and add apple cider.