Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Leek and Potato Gratin

This is actually one of my first times using leeks. Now that I've tried them, I don't know what took me so long! I'm always experimenting with potato gratins and sauteed leeks add a great spring flavor to this gratin. For more gratin ideas, you can visit my posts Potato Au Gratin Three Ways and Tomatillo Potato Gratin.


Leek and Potato Gratin
Serves 6

2 leeks
3-4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup half and half
1 tablespoon sage
Generous salt and pepper

1. To prepare leeks, chop off bottom and the green stalk. Take white parts and carefully wash. Chop.
2. Heat butter over medium heat. Add leaks and saute until leeks are tender, about ten minutes. Toss leeks with salt, cracked black pepper, and sage.
3. Wash potatoes, but don't peal. (A lot of flavor and nutrients are in the potato's skin. Also, I hate peeling potatoes!)
4. Using mandolin, thinly slice potatoes. (A food processor also works well here. Whenever I serve potato gratins to a crowd, I'll use my food processor to make it easier.)
5. Layer potatoes, leeks, and cheese. After each layer, season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Last layer should end with potatoes, topped with more cheese.
6. Cover a bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
7. Remove cover and bake for 15-30 minutes more, or until potatoes are fully cooked and cheese is browned.

I served the Leek and Potato Gratin with a salad of
arugula, thinly sliced apples, and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printer Friendly