Leek and Potato Gratin
3-4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup half and half
1 tablespoon sage
Generous salt and pepper
1. To prepare leeks, chop off bottom and the green stalk. Take white parts and carefully wash. Chop.
2. Heat butter over medium heat. Add leaks and saute until leeks are tender, about ten minutes. Toss leeks with salt, cracked black pepper, and sage.
3. Wash potatoes, but don't peal. (A lot of flavor and nutrients are in the potato's skin. Also, I hate peeling potatoes!)
4. Using mandolin, thinly slice potatoes. (A food processor also works well here. Whenever I serve potato gratins to a crowd, I'll use my food processor to make it easier.)
5. Layer potatoes, leeks, and cheese. After each layer, season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Last layer should end with potatoes, topped with more cheese.
6. Cover a bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
7. Remove cover and bake for 15-30 minutes more, or until potatoes are fully cooked and cheese is browned.
|I served the Leek and Potato Gratin with a salad of |
arugula, thinly sliced apples, and lemon juice.